here are some cool facts for you
- it has been proven time and again in study after study that there is no correlation between mental illness and violent behavior, except in that mentally ill people are more likely to have substance abuse problems and there is a correlation between substance abuse and violence. mental illness itself is not a risk factor for violent behavior
- yes that includes mental illnesses with psychotic features
- “In this study, the prevalence of violence among those with a major mental disorder who did not abuse substances was indistinguishable from their non-substance abusing neighbourhood controls. A concurrent substance abuse disorder doubled the risk of violence. Those with schizophrenia had the lowest occurrence of violence over the course of the year (14.8%), compared to those with a bipolar disorder (22.0%) or major depression (28.5%). Delusions were not associated with violence, even ‘threatcontrol override’ delusions that cause an individual to think that someone is out to harm them or that someone can control their thoughts.” (x)
- you hear that, motherfuckers
- mentally ill people - and yeah, even (especially!) those who are sick in what you think of as The Crazy Way - are not more dangerous than people without mental illnesses. it’s not ambiguous. it’s not a matter of debate
- how then do you justify using slurs that paint mentally ill people as dangerous
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are two and half to four times more likely to be the victims of violent crime than average
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are at an elevated risk for domestic violence and abuse
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are almost universally the subjects of ridicule or fearmongering in popular media
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are massively more likely to be unemployed and/or homeless than people without mental illnesses
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are coerced and abused by the professionals who are supposed to help them
- how do you justify it when mentally ill people are afraid to seek help at all because of social stigma
- how do you justify it when these aren’t just suspicions but observable facts
- how the FUCK do you justify it
The recently-opened Shimmy Club has installed the spyglass – normally associated with police interrogations – in two of its £800-a-time private function rooms.
A spokesman for the Glasgow venue, owned by millionaire entrepreneur Stefan King’s G1 Group, insists it does not allow male or mixed-sex groups to hire the rooms.
However, the Scottish Sunday Express has seen photos showing a group of young men with a clear view of women using the bathroom.
There is no sign in the toilets or anywhere else on the premises alerting female clubgoers to the fact they can be observed.
I have no words
The World Is Not Over
Lawmakers in Arizona are still pressing for a law that protects any business requiring trans customers to use a bathroom corresponding with the sex they were assigned at birth. And that gave Allyson Robinson an idea. She is the trans woman who taking on the military as executive director for OutServe-SLDN. While passing through Phoenix, she used a women’s restroom and left behind a message to Arizonans. See a photo she shared of the image above. It’s attached to a bathroom stall.
We don’t just hate things like whitewashing, yellowface, redface, blackface, brownface, etc because they depict and promote horrible stereotypical representations of us and the way you think we look,
We don’t just hate them because they are the remnants of horrifically racist practices that were legalized and condoned,
We don’t just hate them because they are systematic ways of purposefully excluding us from being represented in the media,
We don’t just hate them because people STILL defend their use on grounds of ‘authenticity,’ whatever that means,
We don’t just hate them because people STILL think we look like that,
We don’t just hate them because they mean that we STILL live in a White world, where we’re all the deviations from the norm, the weird ones,
We don’t just hate them because their mere existence means that you will never see us for who we are but only for the commodified version of what you think we are,
We hate them because they promote the idea that no matter how high we rise, no matter how good we are at what we do and how well we represent ourselves, there will always be a white person who can do anything we can do better than we can- there will always be a white person that can depict us better than we can depict ourselves.
We hate them because when we do get in, when we finally get to show ourselves to the world, who we are is horrifically warped and neatly packed into a simplified, stereotyped version of us.
We hate them because they continue to exist and continue to be promoted and supported by the media and legions of racism apologists.
THAT’S WHY WE HATE THESE THINGS.
WE DON’T HATE THEM JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR PAST,
WE HATE THEM BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY MEAN IN THE PRESENT-
THAT WE’RE STILL, DESPITE WHAT PEOPLE THINK, NOT PAST RACISM,
THAT WE’RE STILL BEING UNFAIRLY TREATED AND REPRESENTED,
THAT WE STILL LIVE IN A WHITE WORLD IN WHICH WE ARE STILL INCAPABLE OF REPRESENTING OURSELVES
AND THAT ALL OF THIS
Don’t apologize for things like whitewashing, yellowface, redface, blackface and brownface.
HELP END THEM.
SCREAMING IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS
While this may not be one of our traditional success stories, this is quite possibly further evidence that we have always been here and that in and of itself is a success for our community.
Archaeologists have discovered a 5,000-year-old skeleton which they believe may be the remains of a transgender person.
Men’s bodies from that age and culture are usually found buried with their heads towards the west and with weapons.
But this skeleton was found with its head towards the east and was surrounded by domestic jugs – as women’s bodies from the time are usually found.
At a press conference in Prague yesterday, archaeologists theorised that the person may have been transgender or ‘third sex’.
Kamila Remišová, the head of the research team, said: “From history and ethnology, we know that when a culture had strict burial rules they never made mistakes with these sort of things.”
The article also states that:
This is not the first time a skeleton has been found buried as a member of the opposite sex. One woman from the Mesolithic period, who was assumed to be a warrior, was found buried with weapons.
What’s happening with revenge porn and the broadcasting of sexual assaults via social media is already disturbing enough, I already don’t like the potentials of this technology in nefarious hands…
Earlier this month, in the city of Marivan, Iran, a judged sentenced a man convicted of domestic abuse to be paraded around town dressed in traditional Kurdish women’s clothing. This was a “punishment” since obviously being a woman is so embarrassing, amirite? In response, a local feminist group held a rally, and 17 members of the Iranian parliament wrote to the justice ministry complaining it was “humiliating to Muslim women.”
But perhaps the most creative protest has come from the Kurd Men For Equality campaign that sprung up on Facebook. In solidarity with the women’s protest, hundreds of men have submitted photos of themselves dressed in women’s clothing to visually send the message, “Being a woman is not a tool to humiliate or punish anyone.” And a few women have joined in too.
On Autonomy and the Role of Men in Feminism, and Women Only Spaces or Events
UNSW Tharunka, Special Wom*ns Issue